Friday, August 19, 2016

Friday, August 19 - Massachusetts

Martha's Vineyard & My Czech Friends - Part 3

I do have some pictures to share in this post!

Writing the last 2 posts took some thinking, and took a little out of me. Daniel, Jana and I had such a good friendship, and shared so much over the years. It was hard to distill it down to just a few posts. So many memories and anecdotes!

The afternoon we played with the llamas in a farmer's field on the Vineyard. Evenings spent with people they introduced me to, who were all very welcoming - artists, musicians, and the like. Evenings spent filled with food, music, singing, and dancing. It never failed that someone would break out an instrument, be it a guitar, harmonica, flute, mandolin, drums, or piano.

Random get-togethers with a few, or groups, of intelligent people from diverse cultures. It was an education for the soul as much as the mind :) I loved every single minute.

My arms were always full when I headed back home on the ferry! Daniel and Jana sent me back with food, things from Czech (curtains, quilt, herbs and spices), and Jana was forever giving me clothes that no longer fit her.

Daniel's goulash.... I have never tasted any better food in this world than his goulash. I always returned with a container of it as he knew how much I loved it! (Never gave me the recipe, unfortunately.)

I have a dress that used to belong to Carly Simon (who lives on the Vineyard). One of Jana's friends cleaned for Carly, who gave her a lot of cast-off clothes. The dress did not fit her petite friend, and was too small for Jana. It is hanging in my closet :) And yes, I have worn it on several occasions!

Easter was a really big deal for them. Apparently it is like a 3 or 4 day holiday in the Czech Republic. One of the ways they celebrate is to decorate eggs. They hollow them out, then paint them and hang them around the house. Pretty cool! Took me a bit to get the hang of it (the eggshells are so delicate!), but I did end up with a few that I still have.

It was a time that spanned many, many years in my life. I only wish it had been more :)

Without further ado, here are the pictures. Apologies in advance for the quality; they are digital photos of actual photographs (except for the eggs!).
Daniel, Thanksgiving Marlborough

Daniel, Thanksgiving

Jana



Jana and me; circa '92
Daniel & me dancing, circa '93
Daniel cooking, MV
Daniel dancing

Daniel & me dancing

























Easter eggs

Easter eggs

Easter eggs














1 comment:

  1. I was wondering when you'd finish this post! Its been interesting!I love the photos. Quite a story here.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete