Friday, June 3, 2016






The Last Leg of my Journey

I leave PEI Thursday morning, destination Bangor, Maine. Another long haul, plus re-entry customs. Going to be a long day and drive. I will do as much as possible down ME Tpk. (95) as the speed limits are higher and I can fly. If I was a whiskey drinker, I'd take Peter's advice that night! Alas I am not, and have one more destination on Friday.

Indian Island, or rather, Penobscot Indian Island Reservation, about 20 minutes outside Bangor.
Image result for indian island maine

Image result for indian island maine
Some of my family's ancestors were Native American. Wabanaki of the Penobscot Tribe. My brother and one of my older cousins know a whole lot more about this than I do. It was buried as many family secrets are, and never spoken of while the children were being raised; brushed under the table. Especially in the '50's and '60's.

My mother finally started to tell about it when I was in my early 20's (the Native American is on the maternal side). I did visit Indian Island a few years later on a trip through the wilds of Maine, but I did not appreciate it as much as I will this time.

Image result for indian island maineOr with as much respect. There is a graveyard there I would like to visit.

And from there I head home. To my kitties and my own bed. :)

I leave in 5 days, and there is much to be done between now and then.

Stay tuned, those of you who are following!
Image result for indian island maine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment