Monday, October 31, 2016

Monday, October 31 - Hallowe'en

It has been a few weeks since I posted. Sometimes life becomes so busy it's hard to stop and take a breath. I try to; I do not like to be overly booked or so busy I cannot take time for a loved one or friend or my hobbies. I love to read (it is a passion of mine) and like to spend at least a few hours every night doing so. And "life" stuff happens. I am busier now than I ever was when I worked for so many years. Not sure how that happened!

Chores, spending time with family, visiting is some of it. I am a member of the Town Cultural Council, and have obligations there as well. We get our annual grant requests at this time of year and meet in a few weeks to decide on them. Limited funds to try and stretch to cover valuable and needed community programs that will enrich and enhance lives of our local citizens. Art, music, science, theater. Programs the schools and library could not put on without our help. I also volunteer at the local library with some of their programs.

Paint and write in my spare (ha ha) time.

And tonight is Hallowe'en. I do not get trick or treaters up here in my apartment. I really miss that. When I lived in Webster I got a TON of kids every year. Went through 4-6 bags of candy! Plus I got to see a ton of cute and original costumes. I loved it :) And I gave out the "good" candy that parents hate but kids love - Snickers, M&Ms, Reese's, Milky Way.

Hallowe'en.... when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest. Its origins date back over 2000 years ago when the Druids and the Celts celebrated the "in between" of autumn and winter with a huge bonfire and feast (to keep it simple - it is far more complicated than that). It was their New Year, and a time to remember the departed and ward off evil spirits.

The Church got involved in the 9th century when it was trying to convert people and rout the pagans. As in many other instances, the Church started its own traditions based on Celtic and Druid festival days. Pope Gregory (700s) moved All Saints Day from May to October 31 as one example.

The origins of Hallowe'en (Samhain, pronounced Sow'een) lie in Ireland and the UK. It is still celebrated by Christians, Pagans, Druids, Wiccans, etc. to this day. Pumpkins are carved, candles are lit, treats are shared. Thanks is given.

Enjoy your evening, folks! I am going to light a few candles of my own and celebrate :)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting background on halloween. Glad to see your still posting! I was starting to wonder.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete