Sunday, March 19, 2017

March 19 - Maine


Orion, 2004 - 3/13/2017

Rest in peace, my love. Fly high and roll around surrounded by unlimited kibble, and whatever else your soul desires.

~~~     ~~~     ~~~     ~~~

I took Orion to the vet last Monday to say goodbye. It was not easy; it never is. Never has been.

Orion has been ill for awhile, he had CRF (chronic renal failure - kidney disease). Common among cats unfortunately. This past weekend he took a bad turn for the worse. Would not eat (and he loved his food!) or drink much. What he did get down came right back up.

When I moved up here and was able to let the cats out of their carriers, Orion jumped up on the bed and looked at me. A chill went down my spine. A feeling came over me and I knew he would not be moving with me again.

I adopted Orion in the fall of 2004 when he was about 6 months old. I named him for the mythological hunter son of Poseidon. He turned out to be... not so much :) Orion was content to eat, snooze in the sun, eat, swat at things when the feeling moved him, and eat.

Such a love though! He slept next to me at night. The past week closer than usual.

I have had cats all my life. Some would say I should be used to this, or, "you have to do what you have to do". The latter is true. It does not make it any easier. Ever. They have all left indelible footprints on my heart.

When I adopt a cat, it is for life. The beginning of the circle; the promise. What they add and give and bring to your life - so much joy, love, and happiness - is not repay-able [yes I know that is not a word].

Then comes the time to make good on that promise; complete the circle. No matter how much it hurts us. We are obligated to perform that last act of love. I owed him that dignity and stayed with him until the end.

And I firmly believe cats have souls. If you have had the privilege of sharing part of your life with a cat and looked deeply into their eyes as they purr away... you know.




1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your cat. I'm a dog person but know what its like. I tried to comment the past few weeks but for some reason they're not showing up. Hope this one does. Sounds like you had your fill of life in Maine.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete