Thursday, March 23, 2017

3/23/17 - Maine

I find it odd the things you pack when you are "under the gun" and have only X amount of hours to do so in preparation for a winter away. Right after a fire. Trying to direct several other people who came to help while you are trying to check off your list... It was a madhouse that day, and I did not have much time. Yet I am surprised at some of the items I had the presence of mind to pack - pots & pans and basic cooking utensils (there were none up here), last year's taxes and all my computer codes. And still slapping my forehead for the little things I forgot - heavy duty gloves, a few other things.

As I am packing to move back to Massachusetts I have thought about this stuff. Remembered the manicure kit, forgot the nail polish. Why did I pick this sweater and not the one I left? Where were my thermals when I needed them?

Things like that.

I had, literally, 4 hours to pack before I left. Assemble boxes, go through my list, oversee what my helpers were doing. Plus I had to get ALL of my food out of there that day - refrigerator, plus all dry goods.

I think I did pretty well given the circumstances.

Now it is coming time to move home. I will be leaving here a week from this Saturday. If all goes well with the appraisal I will be somewhat settled in less than 2 weeks. Fodder for a different post; I do not want to jinx it!

I am not moving back to my previous apartment, unfortunately. The work that is required to repair etc. will likely take until the end of the year. I wish I could... I loved that place and it was so roomy and sunny. Life marches forward.

Aftermath (I was on 2nd floor)
My brother took some photos when I was allowed back into my old apartment. I will post a few "before" and "after" pics here. You can see how extensive the damage really was (mostly from smoke), and some of what I have lost.

The insurance company called yesterday afternoon; they have closed their investigation on the 'remediation' part of the claim. First floor tenants did not have insurance and did not admit to smoking on the porch outside their apartment. Even though the fire investigator found over 200 cigarette butts that were disposed of improperly on the ground next to the steps where she dumped her grease.

Absolutely, totally disgusting. WHO does that?? Yes I smoke, but I use an ashtray. If there is none available I make sure it is out and stick the rest of it in my pocket for later disposal. I do not dispose of butts anywhere except the trash.

Without further ado.
Before
After












Before                                                                               
What's left?                                             





After

No comments:

Post a Comment