Tuesday, June 6, 2017

June 6 - Massachusetts

Small Appliances

It is a running joke in my family, and also when I was working, that small electrical appliances and I do not co-exist well. My siblings chalk it up to excess electricity I generate. I am not thoroughly convinced that is scientifically possible.

Whatever it is, I do seem to burn through small appliances faster than socks. Moreso than most people on the planet. They explode, fry, fizzle, or simply stop working. I could not even begin to count the number of coffee makers I have had to replace over the years. I gave up on trying to keep an electric can opener years ago! I do not own a toaster oven for the same reason. Toasters are iffy as well.
Can opener envy!








 Microwave ovens especially do not get along well with me. Three have quit on me in the past 4 1/2 years (nice ones). Not a good track record! You do not want to hear the story about the one that fried on me once at my place of work. It was not pretty, to put it mildly.



It is not for lack of purchasing top-rated brands. Black & Decker, Frigidaire, GE, LG, etc. It does not seem to matter.

Small kitchen appliances also suffer in my possession. Blenders, mixers - you name it. I have toasted at least several dozen various smaller appliances. Not my fault! I am fastidious about reading the User Manuals, and have never once attempted to use an appliance for anything other than its intended purpose.
















Vacuum cleaners. They hate me! So many vacuum cleaners have fizzled out on me, and it is not for lack of care. I clean them and ensure the rollers are free. Still - 5 have died on me in the past 3 1/2 years. No, not a good track record. I was a little worried about The Hoover when I was in Maine this past Winter. Yeah that thing weighed a ton, and it took me awhile to vacuum, but I did worry in the back of my mind about it fizzling out while I was there! Perhaps it was more stubborn than most :) Thankfully!!

I have had my most recent coffee pot about 10 months now, and am keeping my fingers crossed. It is a most awesome coffee maker my brother gave me. My previous one (a replacement for one that simply quit halfway through brewing a pot) exploded all over my kitchen less than a week after purchase. Sigh.








When I was working it was computer parts that fried. Keyboards, interior boards, etc. Mostly computer mice. I arrived at work one day to discover a co-worker had adorned an entire wall of my office with my dead computer mice. The IT guy had saved them for some reason, and they found it humorous I had burned through so many.
Yes there were a lot, but I still think they were all defective :)

Fortunately the bad electric ju-ju does not extend to large appliances! Whatever it is with the small appliances is aggravating and expensive enough.

Perhaps it is possible for one to have an abundance of "electric" current that will fry small appliances and such. I am not 100% convinced, but given my track record I suppose I cannot entirely dismiss that! That - and given the fact I have perfectly good socks that pre-date all of the above appliances...


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear the story about the work microwave! Sounds intresting! How are you making out with your unpacking and all that?

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned for an unpacking update. No, you do not really want to hear about the work microwave. Suffice it to say maintenance had to be called after my lunch started exploding and I pulled the plug on the thing.

      Delete