Monday, January 29, 2018

Monday, January 29 - Massachusetts

Good afternoon friends. I realize it has been some time - actually QUITE some time - since I last posted. Two months! I apologize up front for that. I have been busy and caught up in various things, but that is not a good excuse. It had been on my mind that I have not posted, but it seemed something always came up.

It took a phone call from a dear friend to jar me out of this winter season's goings-on to spur me (thanks, Chris!). She was concerned enough to call. That is a very, very good friend.

I am fine and doing well, I assure you up front! Just had a lot of things going on.

December was so very busy. It seemed every time I turned around there was something going on. The fuel pump on my 'Stang bit the dust out of the blue at a very inopportune time. At least she had the decency to go in the driveway and not far away from home. I had my first major house issue to deal with - backed-up plumbing. Started with slow flushing, and ended up with a washer full of laundry water backing up into the tub. (At least the washer overflowed into the tub and not on the floor!)

Thanks to my most awesome brother I got a good plumber and the issue was resolved quickly. A bit ouch on the purse-strings after both incidents, but I am notoriously tight with my money. I have some money set aside for emergency house repairs, but the fuel pump and the plumber were back-to-back, and my miserly self did not like it.

Then Christmas!! I had the most wonderful Christmas this year :) My brother and I got back into our tradition after I had spent last Christmas away. He set the tree up at his house, and we spent a nice afternoon decorating it. It is artificial, but so pretty once it is done. Requisite grumbling on his part assembling it and putting on the lights, but once it decorated it was beautiful!

Christmas Day was awesome. I got wonderful presents! Tons of the funky socks I love so much (I am known for my "weird" socks), and a set of cast iron skillets to replace what was lost last year. Among many other things. Dinner was to die for! Brother cooked a crown roast of lamb beautifully! Baked potatoes and some veggies. I made dessert, mini cheesecake with fig compote (we both love) in ramikins.

New Year's followed quickly. Brother spent it in Maine with my amazing sister and her S.O. I chose to stay home. Sister & S.O. are doing major work on the upstairs ceilings in Maine, and much as I love a good party I decided to revel here.

UNfortunately... my 'Stang's battery died on me that weekend. AAA was all backed up; took almost 4 hours to arrive. Could not get my car to keep running after a jump start. It was extremely cold that weekend, and AAA will not install batteries outside when it is below 32 degrees (makes sense). So - another tow to the mechanic to replace the battery.

The saga does not end there! The day after Pepper got her brand-new battery the battery in the key fob died. Long story short - she has an after-market alarm (that I did not install). Even though I did not lock the doors (did not want the locks to freeze), the alarm automatically sets itself. As soon as I opened the car door I woke the entire neighborhood. And the car will not start once the alarm goes off, even with key in ignition. I tried several times in vain before giving it up and before the neighbors started complaining. (The alarm is extremely loud and quite impressive. On any other day but that.).

Of course - that was New Year's Day, and not a thing I could do about the darn fob until brother returned and could transport me to an electronics store to replace the battery.

That was another adventure in itself! Suffice it to say, it all worked out.

Since then... well we have had a few snow storms that dumped quite a bit up here in this corner of Masschusetts. Exceptionally cold weather descending suddenly after being lulled by Autumn's slow retreat. One day I was outside in my sneakers, and two days later needed all my winter gear. Gotta love New England in the winter!

Past few weeks I have dealt with paperwork put off too long, appointments, and becoming accustomed to the first Winter in my new home. Phoebe has been ill, which is not settling well with me at all. Fluctuating on my trip to Canada next Summer because of it. If anything happened to her while I was away I would never forgive myself.

Stay tuned... I will not wait so long between posts (promise, Chris!).

No comments:

Post a Comment