Friday, June 10, 2016

June 10, Part 2 - New Glasgow, Nova Scotia

Entrance sign at the Park
 Yes, yes I did visit Smileys Provincial Park today! The Canadian version of Mapquest said it would take about 1 1/2 hours; it was closer to 2 with patches of bad road and trucks. The road to get there is only 2 lanes, with limited passing.

Very scenic, however! Lots more farms. And I saw several goat farms. They were cute and I would have loved to have been able to stop, but the road I was on had no shoulder, and a sharp cut-down on the edge. And very winding; it was not safe to stop could I have.

Smileys Park is actually quite large; much larger than I had imagined it would be. Most of it is dedicated to RVs and camping, and there were even a few people tenting! In today's weather.... (cold and drizzly). Although by the time I arrived the sun had broken through it was still quite chilly.

Right now I am beat. I am exhausted and in much need some zzzzs. I leave you with these pix of Smileys Park; most of it is similar. It is very beautiful, and appears to be very well kept. There are quite a few RV stations in addition to a few areas that look to be dedicated for tents.

This tree.... just because it's so cool!
I had intended to drive back via the Glooscap Trail, which roughly follows the west coast of Nova Scotia (and thus the Bay of Fundy). It would have added another 4 or so hours to the drive (as opposed to the 1 1/2 to get back to the hotel), and my back was protesting. I was chilly and damp - actually had to put the heat on in the car! In June. So I opted for the shorter route back today, and will rethink the plan of attack for tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Did you happen to mention to anyone that is our namesake? Pretty cool, at any rate. Look forward to tonight's blog! Happy Trails...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not... there were only a few staff cars at the ranger station area, and I did not see anyone about. There was one guy working on a backhoe but I was not going to bother him! I do not think the Park is fully open for the season yet, just the two tents I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real cool pic of the Smileys! Great shot of that wonderful tree, would have pulled over and sat on the bench and had a smoke, most cool for sure.
    The landscape is beautiful. I'm glad your enjoying yourself and be safe and take a few Alieve would ya☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you bring me back some more detailed info about our ancestral park. Looks absolutely gorgeous up there, regretting not being able to join you, but this solo trip is exactly what you need. Keep on enjoying.

    ReplyDelete