Saturday, June 11, 2016

June 11 - Nova Scotia

Before I forget... I edited yesterday's post about Smileys Provincial Park a bit. I was so tired last night I could barely keep my eyes open! Got a good night's sleep, and actually got downstairs in time for some of that free continental breakfast at the hotel. Coffee, juice, bowl of cereal.

I was undecided last night on today's destination; I did not get to the Bay of Fundy yesterday, and I had wanted to go to Halifax today. So I did it the scientific way: tossed a coin :) Actually I took my sister's advice and listened to my back (yeah I know you are all tired of hearing about it by now). Besides, today being Saturday I figured the traffic in Halifax would be pretty bad, and it is about 2 1/2 hours each way from New Glasgow.

The Bay of Fundy drive was only 1hour down and 1-1/2 hours back, and that is something I really, really did not want to miss having come all this way! I knew that I would miss the high tides; they come in at around 6 AM and 6 PM. The 6 AM was not happening, and 6 PM was too late for me!

Today dawned clear and warm (around 60), so it was a gorgeous day. Even at almost low tide, the Bay of Fundy is extremely impressive. I headed toward the Minas Basin area (that is where the highest tides occur). When I drove down the hill and stopped at the stop sign over the rise, my jaw literally dropped. There it was - right in front of me. I think I waved a bunch of cars by. There was no place I could stop and take a picture (houses, people, cars) right there, but I did get some good ones in other spots.

Minas Basin

Receding tide
There are a lot of houses that are right on the Bay, moreso than I expected. I found myself wondering if the people who lived there ever took the sight for granted? How could one!

Edge of Minas Basin, receding tide

Stopped for gas in a small town, and it was not self-serve! The fellows pumping gas had uniforms and everything. Most cool. Also the gas price was a little less than at some other stations. I start to get nervous when it gets down around 1/4 tank; going through some of these small towns as I have, I have found the gas stations to be few and far between. So I fill up when I can. (Mustang + back roads = lots'a fuel! Excellent highway mileage; back roads not so much!)

I followed the Glooscap Trail for a bit on the way back, which roughly runs along the western coast of Nova Scotia. Absolutely gorgeous! Stopped and took a few pictures of a tributary of the Bay as well.

Tributary, tide receeded
Tributary, tide receeded
 The reason the mud is red: The red mudflats of the upper Bay of Fundy are exposed with each low tide. The accumulated sediment supports an abundance of life, such as mudshrimp, which only thrive in this consistency of mud. It is these life forms which give the mud its rich red hue.

Your science lesson for the day!

Of course there were a lot of farms along the way. Here are a few pix of one I pulled over to the side of the road to snap.
Cows
More cows & farmland
 
I also took a random shot through the windshield as I was driving back, just to give an idea of the countryside here. (If you click on any of the pix in this blog, it will show you a larger version.)

Back in New Glasgow, I did a little exploring of the downtown area. There was not a lot to see, and not really any shops that caught my eye. There were a few pub type places, but they did not look like the sort where I would be comfortable solo.

I am also starting to rethink tomorrow's itinerary. Originally I was going to head up to Cape Breton Island and do the Cabot Trail Loop before heading over to Prince Edward Island. HOWEVER.... CBI is an hour from here, and the Cabot Trail Loop takes a good 4 hours. From there it is a 4 hour drive to PEI. Plus it is supposed to rain (and be cold) again tomorrow. Not so sure I am up for that. That will be a very, very long day.

Whereas if I just drive to PEI from here, it will take about 3, 3 1/2 hours. Hmmm.....  Plus I have to load my car myself. Despite my call to the hotel to confirm my reservation and ask if there would be someone to help with my bags (of course! I was assured), there is not. When I arrived I think the manager took pity on me and my bedraggled look (it was raining that day as well), and she helped with the heavier things. At least they have a cart trolley here, and an elevator. I have already taken what I absolutely do not need out to the car today.

Thus far it has truly been an adventure! I cannot believe 4 days have flown by so fast!

I do not regret missing out on Halifax; it was more of a curiosity factor than anything. I had just planned to wander about, see what was what, etc. Maybe take in some shopping. I am much happier having seen the Bay of Fundy, and the Minas Basin today :)

So tomorrow.... PeI here I come!

4 comments:

  1. There are still gas station attendants! Fill it up, check the oil and tire pressure cool.
    The basin and the views are magnificent! And thanks for the science lesson! Mud shrimp? Can you eat them? Have fun and take it easy!
    Did you know that Nova Scotia Adopted in 1901 by an Act of Legislature, the Mayflower, Epigaea repens, also known as the Trailing Arbutus, has been a patriotic symbol of Nova Scotia since its early history.😂 I didn't I just googled it!
    Happy trails~Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, pretty neat with the gas station attendants! And kind of in the middle of nowhere, as it were. Not sure if you can eat the shrimp... I did see a fellow out in the mudflats with a net. He may have been fishing for something, or a biology person collecting samples. Hard to tell, he was a ways out. Yes, I did know about the Trailing Arbutus, the symbol is everywhere here :) Hard to miss. I had to look it up myself as I was unsure what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. History lesson for the day - did you know that Nova Scotia gives the city of Boston their Christmas Tree every year in gratitude for our assistance in the 1917 Halifax Explosion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kewl - but you're right,enough about the back and more fascinating trivia! I'm impressed with what you're doing and learning.

    ReplyDelete