Wednesday, June 8, 2016

June 8 - Saint John, New Brunswick

I am here! Arrived safe and sound, no issues at all. Sorry no pix again today; it was basically a travel day and of course the camera was tucked away in the back seat. Tomorrow.

The drive was long, and I think that was about the edge of my comfort limit. Even though I set myself up with a small cooler full of cold waters, some danish, and watermelon. I made excellent time, though; and did not speed (well, much). Had a few stops to make before I started - gas, my sister's. Kid at the gas station was slow as molasses, and the traffic on the local highway horrendous. Thought I had timed it to miss the commuter traffic, but it was still awful.

Once I got up around Haverhill, though, things were much easier. Stopped for lunch at the rest area in Gardiner, Maine, and got off the Maine Tpk. in Bangor. There is a whole lot of NOTHING between Bangor and the Canadian border, let me tell you!

Border crossing was easy as pie, and a short drive to Saint John from there. The awesome hotel manager recommended a local place to grab a quick bite to eat and something to wet my whistle. She did not steer me wrong! AJ's Restaurant was close by, quick, and I even met a few local people in the short time I was there :) Kim, the bartender, was Johnny on the spot with a beer and a menu, and we chatted a bit.

Another local fellow sitting a few seats over filled me in on some information on the area which I was not aware of. Saint John was the first officially incorporated city in Canada. He also told me there is a beach on the Bay of Fundy here (on the New Brunswick side) that actually has black sand.... one of the few in the world. And other very interesting facts about the area.

Enough for tonight! I am very tired, and tomorrow is.... mammoth bones! Then on to Nova Scotia. Pix, promise.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found the peace and serenity of Maine (the whole lot of nothingness......). Interesting facts about Saint John - didn't realize it was so close to the Bay of Fundy, guess I'll have to look it up on the map. So much for our geography classes!! Don't overdo the driving, and remember to just enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That whole lot of nothingness almost put me to sleep :) Saint John is VERY close to the Bay of Fundy; I could see bits and pieces of it on my drive. You check out that map!

    ReplyDelete