Sunday, June 12, 2016

June 12, Part 1 - Nova Scotia

Getting ready to check out soon, so I thought I would post quickly. You will get another "twofor" today!

Slept really well (I love these hotel pillows so far; I want to know where they get them!), and up early enough for breakfast again. The free breakfast here only runs until 8:30, so I missed it the first day by about 20 minutes. Thank goodness for in-room coffee!

Had a hot breakfast this morning - pancakes! They have a cool machine that looks like a big toaster oven. You just press a button, stick your plate under the roller at the end, and voila! A pancake comes out! Pretty neat. Juice and coffee (two glasses of juice). Figured I would fuel up for the road!

Thank heavens for elevators :) I have been slowly packing the car this morning as I really did not want to deal with the cart trolley by myself - it is large and unwieldy. Took some stuff down last night, and have made about 3 trips this morning already. Fortunately the really heavy stuff has wheels; the rest I tried to lighten up a bit, or as much as possible. Glad I packed light.

As a side note, having made so many trips up and down in the elevator, I looked at the operating license. It is called "License to Operate an Elevating Device" here. Sometimes it does not take much to amuse me!

One last trip down, and checkout. Then head to PEI. Most directions want to send you via the ferry, which I do not want to take. It takes just as long, and there is a hefty fee for vehicles (plus tax). I will drive across the Confederation Bridge (which is a hair over 8 miles long). There is still a hefty toll - $46 CAD - but it is less than the ferry. Plus I will get to see some of the countryside!

The whole point of my trip :)

As promised, the weather today is cold and drizzly. Showers off and on, and a bit windy as well. In addition to a long sleeve T-shirt I have on a light sweatshirt and will wear my rain jacket. If this weather keeps up I forsee myself buying a heavier sweatshirt in PEI.

So until tonight! The Defiant Traveler travels on :)


4 comments:

  1. Season seems to be running about 4 to 5 weeks late with the type of weather you're running into. Keep warm, and enjoy the scenery. A $37 US toll? For an 8 mile bridge? Can you at least pull off at places and take pictures, or just take in the scenery? Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a one way toll when you leave PEI. No stopping allowed on the bridge, and they have those concrete barriers on either side. Not much to see...
      Sis

      Delete
  2. Why is the soil red?
    (I looked this up as I didn't read about an explanation in the blog. I didn't know why either other than having a high iron oxide count. Now we all know)

    The Island is formed from sedimentary bed rock of soft, red sandstone which produces the rich, red soil. The redness of the soil is due to the high iron-oxide (rust) content.

    The aboriginal peoples of P.E.I., known as the Mi'kmaq, inhabited the Island long before European explorers traversed the area in the 16th century. The Mi'kmaq referred to the Island as "Epekwitk" - a name which means 'Cradle on the Waves.' According to their rich tradition, the god Glooscap, after he had finished all the beauties of the globe, mixed the colors with his paintbrush and created Epekwitk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat me to it! Looked it up last night and was going to publish it tomorrow :)
      Sis

      Delete