Wednesday, June 15, 2016


June 15 - Prince Edward Island

Another treat today, ladies and gentlemen. I have a TON of pictures to share! (And another long post.)  The weather forecast was correct; rain off and on and cold (fortunately I had my new fleece on!). I was not to be deterred from today's journey. Fueled up again with a hot breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, a piece of bacon, 2 glasses of OJ, and coffee), and headed up the west coast of PEI.

It was about 50 today, at best, and verrrry windy! Lest you think I am kidding, I stopped and took a pic of some lilacs. They are just coming into full bloom up here.
Lilac bushes

I thought I smelled something that vaguely resembled pizza for awhile, then saw some signs and realized what it was. Garlic farms! I drove past two, and they were quite pungent. Bit of a change from all the potato farms :)

First stop was Cap-Egmont, and the bottle houses. Wow.... so cool! Edouard Arsenault apparently had quite a sense of humor. He transformed over 25,000 bottles into the current attraction which consists of 3 buildings, plus a miniature lighthouse that was added later. There are also extensive gardens, very beautiful, and well-maintained. Also a large vegetable garden. From the website: "Edouard spent the winter in the basement of his home, cleaning bottles, removing labels and dreaming of his project. In the spring of 1980, at the age of 66, he began his construction, a mere hobby yet. As his six-gabled structure was taking form, visitors started coming in. Impressed by his work, they encouraged him to continue and to advertise it as a tourist attraction. And so, in 1981, the first Bottle House was open to the public."

It took him 4 years to complete the project. I went a little overboard taking pix, so I will put a few here in the post and the rest at the bottom.

Bottle House Chapel alter

Chapel pews










One of the Bottle Houses

Bottle House tavern










Bottle House tavern

Bottle House chapel

It was just so cool! There are several pieces of sculpture around the grounds, also created with (larger) bottles. There is a small pond there as well, with goldfish that are huge! You can actually see one in the picture.  It started to rain quite steadily, but I can just imagine what the gardens must look like in good weather. They are chock-full of roses and flowers and local plants.
Pond with goldfish
Bottle House sculpture

By the time I got done and back to my car, the rain turned from steady to heavy, and the wind was picking up. Even though the Cap-Egmont lighthouse was just a few Km down the road, I opted to continue north on the journey. It is not fun standing in a cold windy rain trying to take pictures of a lighthouse! Even for me :)

So northward, and on to North Point lighthouse. I was determined to see it, and journey to the northernmost point of PEI! Where the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St. Lawrence meet. It took a little over 1 1/2 hours in the rain (and stopping for a few random pictures).

North Cape lighthouse was built in 1865 after a large number of shipwrecks and petitions to the Government, as well as Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the US for assistance to fund its construction. The Island Government did not have the money available, and unfortunately no funds were forthcoming. (Prince Edward had reneged on his word to fund the building of the lighthouse.) It is unclear who eventually paid for the lighthouse, but the Government of PEI did contribute a little money, and it is believed New Brunswick and several of the neighboring provinces picked up the remainder of the tab (mostly New Brunswick).

In 1951 the lighthouse had to be moved inland due to severe erosion of the cliff upon which it is built.

I was only able to get a few pictures; it was SO cold and extremely windy (the car door almost slammed on my fingers!), and "lightly" raining - ha ha. Also there is a fence around the lighthouse so you cannot get that close to it. It is still in operation, of course.
North Point Lighthouse

Gulf of St. Lawrence

The wind turbines.... There are an awful lot of them up here in the Maritime Provinces. Fields consisting of 20-30 turbines. It was no different at Cape North; there was another huge turbine field. There was an interactive exhibit available (for a small fee - with tax :) ), but I did not view it. Having worked for some years at a company that deals with all sorts of power, I am well aware of how wind turbines work, the general principles, the output, etc. I opted for a hot cup of coffee and a donut instead!
Part of the turbine field at North Point
From there I headed back to my hotel. I have to hand it to the Canadian version of Mapquest (which is not really Mapquest) that I have been using. The directions, and Km are spot on. The time, not so much. Again, it was rainy and very chilly today. Not much construction, fortunately! Stopped at a (different) local pub for a very late lunch / very early dinner. Much better atmosphere than last night's! And the bartender, Debra, was very good and attentive. I had a very awesome lobster roll :) There were not many people in there due to the hour so we chatted awhile; it was nice! (And yes, she was very cheerful!!)

Hard to believe my time here is up; I leave for Bangor in the morning. Where did the time go?? I do not think a month would have been enough time! Alas I did not get to see a ceilidh while I was here. The closest one was in Georgetown last night, which is about 45 minutes from here. I did not like the idea of driving back through Charlottetown in the dark! The front desk did not have any recommendations for anything really local. That is the only thing I wish I could have stayed long enough to see (most of them take place on weekends).

I am happy to be headed for home, however. I really, really miss my kitties (they probably think I died or abandoned them), my own bed, and my Dove bars :)

Once again I have packed the car with what I absolutely do not need tonight or in the morning. Fortunately it is an extremely short distance to the car from my first floor room (there is a small patio outside). Couple of trips out to the car in the morning, get some of that hot breakfast, and head south.

It was an amazing day. Despite the weather, I had a good time and the scenery.... just so amazing. It is truly awesome.

I leave you with a few more Bottle House pictures, and some random shots I was able to get today :)

Window in Bottle House chapel
Pillar in Bottle House

Part of Bottle House tavern










Close up of Bottle House















Random roadside photo of Gulf of St. Lawrence

Random roadside photo











Random roadside photo

1 comment:

  1. The bottle house would have been the highlight of my trip, if I were with you! Way cool!! So awesome. Too bad your weather has not co-operated these past 10 days. But you are coming home to 85 - 90 degree weather, take comfort you can put away your fleece here for awhile! Can't wait to see you safe state-side!

    ReplyDelete