Sunday, June 12, 2016

June 12, Part 2 - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

I have arrived safe and sound in PEI and settled in my room. This hotel is a little more, rustic, shall we say, than the previous two (and the lighting leaves a bit to be desired). However, it more than makes up for it with amenities the others did not. It comes with a microwave and a fridge that is a lot larger than the mini fridge in most hotels. Also the free (hot, as one of the managers pointed out) continental breakfast hours are more generous - they run until 10 AM!

When I rearranged the days of my trip, they had to change my smoking room to a non-smoking, but it was first floor with a patio so I could go outside. No big deal (they have no elevators here, and were upfront there was not anyone who could help me with my luggage). When I arrived, I asked if by chance a smoking room had opened up on the first floor. Why yes, it had! Not only that, it was a little less expensive, and the manager gave me the CAA (AAA) discount - I saved about $84 on the hotel room! Big time score!!!

The lobby was really nice, too, and the managers wore very crisp uniforms. And were, of course, very cheerful :) About 1/2 hour after I checked into my room and began to unload my car, the manager actually called my room to see if everything was satisfactory and there was anything I needed. Now that is service! She even thanked me for answering the phone before she hung up. How often does that happen??

The trip here was uneventful, and being Sunday there was no construction. I was right on schedule. I think the taxes here must be less than they were in Nova Scotia; it cost $10 CAD less to fill my gas tank from 1/4 to full when I stopped. That is a good thing.

I tried to take a few pix out the window as I was driving. Probably not the safest thing to do at 90 and 110 Kmph (55 and 65 Mph), and therefore a lot of them did not come out. Plus the day was rainy, and quite foggy in the distance. A few did, though. There was a cool field of windmills as I was leaving Nova Scotia, and they came out sort of OK (you will need to click on the pic to make it bigger).










 Here is a picture going across the 8 mile bridge onto PEI. It is quite something! You cannot see much out the side because of the concrete barriers, but it is quite a marvel. (The $46 CAD toll, by the way, is only when you leave PEI, not both ways.)

I would like to explore the eastern shore of PEI tomorrow - visit Prim lighthouse, the Murray Harbor area, etc. I will need to buy a heavier sweatshirt. Most of the tops I packed are for warmer weather, which is what they normally have here at this time of year. Today topped out at 56, as will tomorow. Tuesday it drops to 53, and Wednesday to 50. With off and on rain.

Not so great weather, but everything else is. I am glad I chose to drive here directly rather than take the Cabot Trail Loop. That would have been a 9-hour drive, and my back is feeling pretty good right now. Besides, with the weather today I do not think I would have been able to see all that much along the Loop. It would have been a lot rainier along the coastline, and heavier fog.

I also want to spend a day here in Charlottetown exploring the city and perusing and moseying about :) It is the capital of PEI, after all! I also want to do a little research as to why the soil here (again, lots of farms) and rocks are red. This cannot be due to shrimp!

2 comments:

  1. Very friendly people with great customer skills. Wish the weather was better for you, but you seem to be enjoying yourself quite wonderfully. Get a very heavy sweater or even a jacket and gloves - stay warm and continue with the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Current plan is to go into the shopping district tomorrow! I want a sweatshirt from PEI. Today I did not need one, but I want one anyway :) Treat myself!
      Sis

      Delete