Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 19, Part 1 - Hotel Review

I stayed at 4 hotels during my journey. No they were not upscale! Places to sleep and rest my bones at night. Did all of the booking online - it is less expensive than calling the hotel directly. I tried that as an experiment and one room was a little over $80 directly via phone per night than what I booked online.

June 8, first night, I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Saint John, New Brunswick (1 night). The most awesome manager there, Jennifer, was absolutely the best! My 1st floor room was around the back of the hotel, and while I drove down there she walked down and opened the patio door so I could unload my luggage easily. She even helped me with the heavier items. I did not ask her to; she offered. She was great! Jennifer was also the one who pointed me to AJs Restaurant that evening. The room was a bit small (double beds, but I do not take up a lot of space), but very, very clean. Here is a picture taken from the outside.
Outside New Brunswick hotel
Next stop was New Glasgow for 3 nights, and it was raining when I pulled in to Travelodge Suites. The room was on the 3rd floor. The manager that night, Mary, took pity on me I think and helped me load the cart trolley and assisted me with it up to the room. I was very wet and totally exhausted. Elevator! (That was the hotel with the breakfast pancake machine :) ).
View outside Travelodge window

View outside Travelodge window

The room was a little larger than Saint John, but very clean as well. Not much of a view out the window, as you can see, but again, I only slept there :)

In Charlottetown I stayed at Canada's Best Value Inn (the more "rustic" hotel) for 4 nights. All in all, I rather liked it there, despite the poor lighting. Small wooden patio outside, and they did have an on-site restaurant. And hands down the absolute best breakfast!! Eggs, bacon, 3 kinds of cereal, 4 types of bagels, 3 types of toast, and a variety of breakfast drinks (coffee, teas, juices, milk, etc.). The managers changed frequently, but there were always 2 at the desk, nicely dressed in uniforms (and a very well-kept lobby). They were also extremely helpful with information, maps, and recomendations on local places to eat and the best way to get to downtown.
Fridge, microwave & coffee

Pic in bathroom mirror - very short!
Yes the room was small, and I think the bathroom was made for tiny people (middle pic), but it also had the largest fridge, and a mircowave. The carpet left much to be desired, but it suited well for the 4 nights.
Desk at Canada's Best Value Inn







Outside the room on PEI

 All in all, I really rather liked this room! It was actually kind of homey in a way. The housekeeper, Padma, was very nice and kept me in clean towels. I ran into her twice.




Finally in Bangor, I stayed at the Super 8 which was right off the Maine Turnpike. Only 1 night, but strangely enough it seemed luxurious compared to some of the others (except for the pillows). I think it was just the room size! It seemed huge!
Super 8 Bangor
The front desk manager who checked me in - I failed to get her name; I was exhausted and a bit painful from driving - gave me the 1st floor room closest to the exit door. Thankfully. It took me a while to unload, and also to load the car again, but I did not have far to go.
Super 8 Bangor

Super 8 Bangor


Across the parking lot was a Travelodge. The parking lines were clearly delineated, so the 2 hotels did not share parking, but it struck me as humorous (I do have an odd sense of humor). So I took a picture of that as well.
Across the parking lot
The Comfort Inn in Saint John and Travelodge in New Glasgow had the best pillows. Super 8 in Bangor had the most electrical outlets and the largest room. Canada's Best Value Inn had the best breakfast and was the most eclectic. The best manager overall in my opinion was Jennifer at Comfort Inn in Saint John.

ALL of the hotel staff I met and spoke with were very good, and had excellent customer service skills. They were helpful and polite (and cheerful!).

One more post after this with some random comments.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking into Airbnb for a trip I'm booking this fall and I've heard some great things from people who have used it before (some good deals!)- will let you know how it is and it may be an option for your future travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, but when I travel I like a lot of the conveniences and a bit of the pampering I get at the hotels. Free breakfasts, wake-up calls if needed, no cooking, and not having to clean up at the end of your stay. Plus the experiences of meeting other travelers along the way!

    ReplyDelete